7 Things Students Need to Know:
A PennKey username and password is required to access many of Penn's online resources and services. Your PennKey is unique and you should never, under any circumstances, share your PennKey password with anyone.
- Setup your PennKey
- Enroll in PennKey two-step verification
- Also helpful:
2. Microsoft Office 365 & Email
GSE students are eligible for a PennO365 for Students account free of charge. As part of the PennO365 service, you can install the latest version of Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus on up to five (5) personal computers and mobile devices. You also receive access to Micorsoft Office Online and 1 TB of storage on OneDrive, Microsoft's cloud data storage and collaboration solution.
- Setup your O365 email account
- Also helpful:
3. Secure Your Computer
GSE students are eligible for the following software free of charge. Using these in combination with two-step verification will help you work and learn more securely. See Penn IT security for students.
- Symantec Endpoint Protection antivirus, anti-spyware/adware
- LassPass password manager
- University VPN - GlobalProtect is Penn's virtual private network
4. Apps for Learning and Research
Canvas is the university's learning management system. In addition, GSE students have access to a number of additional learning, research, and collaboration technologies.
- Log into Canvas @ canvas.upenn.edu | Penn Canvas documentation for students and for TAs
- Create your Zoom Pro account for free web conferencing
- Create your BlueJeans @ upenn.bluejeans.com for another free web conferencing platform
- Go to teams.microsoft.com to collaborate with peers
- Use your Penn email to log-in to PowerNotes, a research-to-writing application | Video tutorial
- Visit Penn Libraries' Virtual Computer Lab
- Activate your PennBox account at upenn.box.com to store and share files
5. LinkedIn Learning
As a Penn student, you have access to the full catalog of LinkedIn Learning video tutorials free of charge. Learn how to maximize your use of about Office 365 or just about any other software or soft-skills!
6. When on Campus:
- Set up AirPennNet wireless for your devices
- Get your PennCard
- Visit the GSE Student Computer Lab and print from your laptop using these instructions for Mac and for Windows (PennKey login required)
- Need access to the Stat Lab?